Judging information books

Hi everyone!

This term, we have been judging the Eve Pownall shortlist information books. We voted the books out of 30 and wrote notes to say a complement and something to work on, and then we had to choose the best book there was in our opinion.

The books were,

Make Believe: MC Esher for kids by MC Esher

Waves by Donna Rawless, Heather Potter, and Mark Jackson 

Sorry Day by Coral Vass and Dub Leffer 

Bouncing back by Rohan Cleave and Coral Tulloch 

The happiness box by Mark Greenwood and Andrew McLean 

Our birds by Siena Stubbs!

That’s a lot right?

I think what makes a good book is pictures, because usually when information books don’t have any pictures, it immediately makes the book super BORING! Also, with the pictures, it helps readers understand; it actually makes it really clear! And anyway, who doesn’t like pictures in a book?

I also think that it should be a little bit like a story, because then people that are reading it get more engaged in the story. A bit like the Bouncing back story, which actually does have a story about a bandicoots life.

Lastly, I think you need lots of layout. How do readers be engaged without the front cover with lots of art around it? I mean, art is amazing. Anyone can do art, but it does also have to be with the topic.

It was a hard decision to choose which book I liked, but finally, I chose MC Esher for kids! I loved it because the front cover was amazing, it had these cool hypnotising tests, and I just loved it with all those pictures! But when we found out, it was actually sorry Day  But, Our school’s choice was MC Esher for kids! Yay!

Have you judged a book before?

Bye-Bye, Mckenzie!